During the mid 19th century, a German craftsman named Enrique Loewe Roessberg, a specialist in leather processing, arrived in Madrid, the capital of Spain, with his family.
In 1846, influenced by the leather tanning tradition, dating back to the times of Arab domination in Spain, the first Loewe workshop was founded on Calle del Lobo (It would later be known as Calle Echegaray). Who could imagine that the small workshop, located in Madrid’s busy commercial district, would become the most prominent Spanish design, manufacture and distribution firm of luxury and fashion products?
Around 1870, the workshop was engaged in the production of small leather bags, picture frames, cigar cases, portfolios, handbags, alms bags, dancing sign-up books, wallets and tobacco pouches. At that time, Loewe was already selling directly under its own brand name. Thanks to the prestige acquired, Loewe soon broke into the impenetrable elite of the Spanish Court. Their majesties the King and Queen of Spain, seduced by the quality and careful elaboration of Loewe’s pieces, joined the extensive list of regular customers.
In 1905, Enrique Loewe Hinton, the second member of the saga bearing the same name, received from his majesty the King Alfonso the 13th the most prestigious and coveted official distinction a firm could aspire to at the time: “Supplier of the Royal Family”. By then, Loewe was already considered as the most luxurious in Madrid, the landmark brand name for nobility, the bourgeoisie, and the intellectual, political and artistic worlds.